Freitag, 11. Juni 2010

Handling of mobile wsus clients

Hi at all,

I'm sure that some of you are now watching the football world cup in tv but I'm thinking about the handling of mobile clients with wsus because I think that's an interesting theme too ;).

It's a problem in almost every company. There are clients, e. g. laptops or home office pcs, which aren't mostly connected to the company network through vpn or something like that.
So a IT Admin has ask himself about patching those clients.

If you have a wsus server for patching your clients, including laptops etc, there's a tricky possibility of patching these clients.

In my mind I would like to start a user script with a software deployment tool during the login on the client.
So you can see on the local IP adress of the client in which network the device is.

Based on this information you can run a script which will set a registry key of wsus. So you can define if the client should use the wsus of microsoft in the internet or the server in your company lan.
Of course you should not forget, that some mobile clients don't have a broadband internet connection so you should set the bits (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) in the registry too.

I'm planning this scenario and if I'm ready I'll post my solutions and experiences in this blog.

So stay tuned to this blog if you're interested in it and have a nice evening

Manuel

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen